Friday, October 2, 2009

Fell in love with two new sweethearts at the gun shop

I've done fell in love again with not just one but two new "sweethearts" among the used guns either traded or sold to the gun shop where I work. First along came a Smith & Wesson 65-3 Stainless .357 Magnum revolver with a trigger job from the S&W Performance Center, 3" barrel and a set of black wood fingergroove combat grips that fit my hand just perfectly. That trigger is so smooth I fell in love instantly with the first pull. Right into the layaway safe it went until I can get it paid off.

Believe it or else, I haven't owned a .357 Magnum or .38 Special revolver since I sold my S&W 19 some three years ago. No self-respecting gun nut can possibly live without at least one .357 Magnum or .38 Special revolver. That's wrote on the wall somewhere.

Then yesterday, a gent sold us a whole passel of high-dollar guns, including a Para 12-45 with a trigger job from Cylinder & Slide. One test of that trigger and it was love at first pull again. Now I gotta sell something to raise the cash for the Para 12. My EAA .38 Super/.45 ACP is going on gunbroker as soon as I can find the time to take photos and list it. That's it in the photo with the .38 Super slide in Wonder finish on it.

I've decided to call that adventure a failure. I acquired it in a trade as an EAA Witness P-Compact .45 ACP. I didn't care for the snappy way it shot with .45 ACP, that polymer frame just can't handle the recoil very well. So I bought a .38 Super slide assembly and three 12-rd. mags, upgraded the trigger from milled-face to smooth-face and added ambi safeties.

But which would I rather have, an EAA in a weird caliber that's hard to find ammo for and won't shoot .45 ACP well plus only 8 rds. in a mag, or a Para 12-45 with a great trigger job? Mama didn't raise no fools and that decision is foolproof. I like .38 Super, but I love .45 ACP and I don't have a carry pistol in that caliber. I've got a full-size double-stack Llama IX-C that shoots great and holds 15 rounds of .45 ACP, plus a newly acquired Sig P220 .22LR that will get an upgrade with a .45 ACP slide assembly when I get the cash. But neither of those is a carry .45 pistol.

But a compact 12-rd. Para Ordnance .45 ACP has been on my gotta-have list for quite some time before this perfect condition used one showed up. The Witness .38 Super/.45 ACP is outta here.

In the meantime, I'll add that Para 12-45 to the layaway safe until I can raise the cash.

No comments: