Saturday, July 11, 2009

Wanted: Steyr rifle expert (Hint, it ain't me)

Just got an email looking for info about Steyr-Mannlicher rifles.
After reading your Steyr Mannlicher History page, I was curious if you could answer a question I have been looking for a long time. I have the Steyr Mannlicher Model M Professional which came with either the green or black synthetic stock. The caliber is a .270 in the shorter of the two available barrel lengths. The question is, what is the rifling's rate of twist?

Also, do you happen to know a source for the original Steyr removable scope rings and mounts (30mm)? These are rather hard to find items as you may already know!
Sorry, but that's something I don't know. Fact is, most things in this world I don't know but I have managed to pick up a few scattered bit of knowledge in 61 years. Here's my reply.
My experience with Steyr is confined to their pistols, of which I have or have had three MA1s, 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig. The guy who has a Steyr Scout rifle site, Fr. Frog, is the only Steyr rifle expert I've run across, but I'm sure there are many more. Here's his page: http://www.steyrscout.org/project.htm

I did the Steyr/Mannlicher history article just because I'm a writer and I love Steyrs.
Sorta weird, quoting myself. But I hope the point is clear. If you read this and know how to help this guy, drop him a line:
Sean Blankenship
spcsys@gmail.com

No comments: