Saturday, March 7, 2009

Panic Firing: How fast can you shoot accurately?

How fast can you shoot and still hit what you're aiming at?

Maybe faster than you think you can.

I am usually at least a little bit slow when I practice rapid fire shooting, say about a second or so between shots, taking time to realign the sights before launching the next one. But today at the range, I tried something new, just point and let 'er rip, sorta panic fire, I might call it.

I started out with my newest pistol, Charter Arms Patriot .327 Magnum, and after doing some slow single-action and then rapid but deliberate aim rapid fire double-action, I let 'er rip with double-action as fast as I could shoot at seven yards. With several loads of six, I drew and fired in "panic fire" mode and the big majority were in the blue of a man-size target. (First target)

So then I decided to try that with the four carry pistols I was practicing with, Steyr M357-A1, Steyr M9-A1, Glock 29 10mm and Smith & Wesson M&P Compact .357 Sig. I just drew and let 'er rip as fast as I could reset the trigger. And I got pretty much the same result, the huge majority within the blue at seven yards. (Second target)

I even tried it with my S&W Model 29 with .44 Magnum and .44 Special loads, firing fast double-action as quick as I could pull the trigger, with the same type of results. If it were further than seven yards, I doubt it would work.

Maybe it's not a real world kind of practice, but if I ever do get into "panic mode" perhaps I'll still be able to hit what I'm shooting at. And maybe not.

No comments: