Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Marlin Model 1894 in .44 Magnum/.44 Special assaults senses


So there I was, starting another day at the gun shop when it happened. I was pulling the covers off the gun counters getting ready for business when this bright, shiny Stainless Steel Marlin lever-action rifle just jumped right off the rack into my arms and refused to leggo of me.

A Marlin Model 1894 in .44 Magnum/.44 Special! It was exactly what I was looking for when I sold my Remington 742 in 30'06, but I couldn't find a lever gun in .44, so I settled for a Charter .327 Federal Magnum snubnose revolver instead. I had almost forgotten about my lever gun plans as I began saving toward the next carry pistol I have on my ever-growing list.

And then it happened. Oh well, life is what happens along the way to wherever you're headed.

I really do need a lever gun to match up with my S&W Model 29 and share its ammo. I had a brief fling with a Ruger .44 Magnum carbine, but it wouldn't cycle .44 Specials, so that nixed it.

But this Marlin lever gun will feed and cycle .44 Specials just fine because I tested it at the shop. And then promptly put $200 of my small firearm fund into layaway until I can raise the rest.

Wish I could bring it home tomorrow, but I gotta learn patience. Oh Lord, I need a big load of patience. And I need it right now!

Seriously, I'm really looking forward to getting this Marlin .44 out of hock and shooting it. If it shoots as good as I expect it to, and I know it will, it's going to be my car trunk carry gun. Or maybe I should break down and buy myself a pickup truck and hang in the rear window.

After all, I am a genuine Southern redneck, so I gotta have a truck!

No comments: