Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Remington returns to the pistol business with yet another 1911

For those who love 1911 pistols, and their numbers are legion, Remington has finally jumped back into the pistol business after an absence of eons.

Remington made 1911s under military contract during World War II, but the last handgun it made for the civilian market was in 1926, according to BlueBook.
MODEL 51 SEMI-AUTO- .32 ACP or .380 ACP cal., 8 shot (7 in mag., 1 in chamber), hard rubber 2-piece grips with company's name, black finish. Approx. 65,000 mfg. 1918-1926.
So now Remington has introduced the new model 1911 R-1, a plain Jane military throwback and launched a new website to promote it.

We haven't got one yet at the gunshop where I work but frankly I'm not exactly on pins and needles waiting for it. I'll take my 1911s with double-stack magazines and ambi safeties, thank you very much. My pair of Paras, small P12 and large P14, both customized by C&S, are about all the 1911s I want at the moment. Of course, there is that Para Carry 12 with the LDA trigger...

No comments: