Thursday, August 27, 2009

How to find the way to Heartbreak Hotel on Lonely Avenue


One of technology's marvels that I haven't used yet is a GPS device and I really oughta get one. I can get lost in a paper sack. But suppose you had one in your car and it said in a raspy voice:
"Left at the next street. No, right. You know what? Just go straight."
Huh? That raspy voice that doesn't seem to know which direction is home might be Bob Dylan's. The voice of the '60s who's still rocking along today said in his BBC satellite radio show that two auto manufacturer's have asked him to record the voices for their in-vehicle GPS systems.

If he takes either company up on their offers, that might inspire me to buy a new vehicle so I can hear Dylan tell me "no direction home" or "there must be some way out of here" or "how many roads . . . ."

But Dylan says it's doubtful he'll do it.
"I probably shouldn't do it because whichever way I go, I always end up at one place -- on Lonely Avenue. Luckily, I'm not totally alone. Ray Charles beat me there."
Isn't Lonely Avenue where Heartbreak Hotel is? No, it's down at the end of Lonely Street. I need a GPS system to keep me from turning on Lonely Avenue instead of Lonely Street.

No comments: