Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A mouse gun that's pretty cool, but it's still only a .25 ACP

See if you can spot the error in this fictional prose.

"(He) fired the Glock at all six targets, clicked the safety back on and laid it down."

So writes Jack Higgins in his latest novel, The Wolf At The Door. Higgins usually knows better.

Unless there's a special Higgins model produced at the Glock custom shop, Glocks have no safety to click either on or off.

But then Higgins also favors Colt .25 ACP pistols for just about every single character in this new novel, which also is a strong indicator that one of my favorite authors is not a handgun expert.

My daughter was working as a nurse at the local ER when a guy comes riding up on a bike, walks in and says "I been shot." They thought he was joking until he pulled up his shirt in the back and showed them. Sure enough, he had a small hole in his back and a lump under the skin.

The ER doc pulled out a .25 ACP hunk of lead. It hit a rib and stopped dead right there.

Friends don't let friends carry mouse guns, particularly .25 ACP pistols, which are generally not even as effective as .22LR pistols.

As for me, I don't even pack .380 ACP pistols. My Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm is as small as I'm going.

But if I was gonna get tempted by a .25, this little Ortiges .25 ACP Vest Pocket Automatic squeeze-cocking pistol made way back in the '20s is pretty darn cool, if I do say so.

No comments: