Sunday, August 3, 2008

XD-9 subcompact pistol pretty sweet!

Click the image to open in full size.
Got the chance to fire my son-in-law's Springfield XD-9 subcompact and I gotta say, it's pretty sweet. Never fired an XD of any size before and have heard a lot of trash talk about them so I wasn't expecting much. But it was a quite pleasant surprise. Yes, the trigger's mushy, not as crisp a break as my Steyr MA1s, but no more mushy than a stock Glock and I'd say a tad smoother. Handles well and fits well in my hand. I shot it with the full-size 15-shot mag which is shown in the grip. Carry mag at left is 10-shot.

Makes me wish I'd never let my subcompact S&W 669 go. I sold it while I was on my Baddest Tactical Pistol kick going full-size and have regretted it. I've been thinking I need another subcompact 9 or 357 Sig to partner with my G29. For light carry, 10mm might just be a little bit of overkill.

Here's my target with 15 XD-9 holes in the center mass at 15 yards.
Click the image to open in full size.
The other holes at lower left and right of the head are my attempts to zero a scope with a mount that kept shifting around on my CZ SP01.

I really liked the XD9 subcompact, but I'm leaning toward a S&W M&P .357 Sig, which is one of the few subcompacts you can get in that caliber. I like 9mm, but I love .357 Sig. If only Steyr would unveil a new S357-A1!

Click the image to open in full size.
I almost forgot. I decided my pocket pistol, Kel-Tec PF-9, had been carried too much and shot too little so I got it out at the end of the range session to check for accuracy, feed and just to get a chance to shoot it. Only shot one mag, 8 rds. of Federal Tactical HPs, at 7 yards, but got a nice, tight little pattern I was quite pleased with. The other holes in the head are the same as the target above, trying to zero a scope without success. The cluster of eight around the number 5 in the center of the head are from the PF-9. Gives me confidence to carry.

1 comment:

can0beans said...

The haters can trash talk all they want. The XD fits my hand and fires EVERY TIME I pull the trigger, which is my main requirement for a carry weapon. Admitely when it comes to after market add-ons the XD can't compete with the likes of the Glock. I think it can hold its own in most other ways.

As for selecting a caliber, the .357 clearly packs more punch, but I chose the 9mm for two reasons.
1. I already have my Ruger P95 so 9mm was something I already "stocked"
2. Cost to shoot -- 9mm - 19 cents per round. 40 S&w - 30 cents per round. .357 Sig 56 cents per round. For me that 19 cent trigger pull means more rounds at the range.

I had a great time at the range.

-- Chris (aforementioned son-in-law)